Moves on Opera centre site

first_imgAdvertisement Linkedin APPROACHES have been made to wealthy Limerick businessmen to assist with funding for a proposed clean up of the facade of the ill-fated Opera Centre, the Limerick Post has been reliably informed. With the future of the NAMA owned site uncertain, the local business community and City Hall, have made repeated calls for an immediate decision. A source told the Limerick Post that talks have been held between interested parties, and to which JP McManus is reported to have been invited to attend.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Development work stalled on the €300 million centre during the onset of the global and national economic crisis, and the massive 38,000sqm site was recently placed on the derelict sites register by Limerick City Council.With the site now in what has been described as an “appalling state,” local business owners have become increasingly concerned.Mr McManus, the multi billion euro former bookmaker and racehorse owner, recently came to the rescue of the Markets Field which, through his LEDP fund, purchased the property.He is seen to have the finances, clout and contacts to get things done.The proposed Opera Centre was designed to breathe new life into the city centre, but the downturn in the economy put an end to that dream.The site now lies derelict.Management at the Hunt Museum are said to be upset that visitors are confronted with an ugly eyesore across the road.City manager Tom Mackey, recently said that NAMA is “anxious to activate a viable business plan for the Opera site,” while Patrick Street trader, Tony Connolly, called for the “bombed site” to be focused on.Director of the Hunt Museum and architect Dr Hugh Maguire, previously referred to it as a blight on the city in its current state.“A gaping chasm of boarded up buildings isn’t very welcoming”. Dr Maguire stated that “it would be of great benefit to the city,” if a cleanup operation was put in place.One local shop owner told the Post: “It would be far better if the site was purchased from NAMA and developed into a car park in the short term. Simply cleaning it up will make no difference”.Another local developer, Michael Tiernan, responsible for the Arthur’s Quay Shopping Centre, had initially supported the proposed Opera Centre, and had plans to build a connecting bridge between both properties. Email Twitter WhatsAppcenter_img NewsLocal NewsMoves on Opera centre siteBy admin – July 14, 2011 688 Facebook Previous articleGarda Laura strikes gold on graduation dayNext articleLimerick SPCA insist inspector is in place admin Printlast_img