Several injured in 2 separate accidents

first_imgTwo of the cars which were damaged on the East CoastSeveral persons were rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) on Monday morning after a Route 42 minibus, destined for Timehri, East Bank Demerara, turned turtle on High Street, Georgetown.Guyana Times understands that the minibus, BXX 1938, was travelling at a fast rate of speed at about 11:00h when the driver slammed into another minibus which was crossing Princes Street, Georgetown, at the intersection.This bus, onlookers said, was not badly damaged, however, the one transporting passengers toppled several times before turning turtle opposite Infinity Gas Station.Eyewitnesses, who assisted the injured persons, recalled hearing the screams of the passengers before they were rushed to the GPHC.This publication was told that several of them sustained broken limbs while a few were treated and sent away.At the scene, bloodstains were on the roadway along with shattered glass and the footwear of a little child.In the meanwhile, the drivers of the minibus and the other vehicle have been taken into Police custody and are assisting with the investigations.Street raceIn another incident, seven cars were badly damaged as a result of a speeding car which lost control in the vicinity of Liliendaal on the East Coast of Demerara at about 02:00h also on Monday.Guyana Times was told that the driver of a white Toyota 192 motorcar had customised his car to add turbo speed and was reportedly involved in a street race at about 02:00h on Monday morning when he crashed into a black Toyota Fielder wagon, bearing registration number PXX 1390, which was parked in the corner of the road, before he slammed into several other cars which were parked in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Hotel at Liliendaal.The cars, which included PMM 3127, PPP 9581 and PWW 843, were being rented by guests of the hotel who were awakened from their sleep as a result of the commotion.The driver, who was making his way to Georgetown and is responsible for the accident which caused millions of dollars in destruction in seconds, was reportedly rushed to a hospital, where he is being treated for head injuries.Workers attached to the hotel said they did not see when the accident happened. One staffer told this newspaper that the security guard informed him that he was at the back of the building when the mishap occurred.Efforts made by Guyana Times to contact the management of the hotel were futile.The police are presently investigating the matter.WarningThese mishaps have occurred mere days after the Traffic Chief, Linden Isles, appealed to drivers to be extra careful on the wet roads.He told this publication that the rainy season is known to bring along with it many things and road fatalities just happen to be one of those that cannot be accepted.In fact, Isles explained that road accidents and fatalities have increased for this year. This was seen when figures were compared with those for last year for the same period.“We had 35 accidents with 39 deaths last year up to today’s date and in 2019, we got 38 accidents with 40 deaths, an increase of accidents by eight per cent and deaths by two per cent,” he said.The Toyota 192 that slammed into the other carsThe minibus which toppled at High Streetlast_img