Zakir Naik rejects terror charges,claims videos are tampered

first_imgMumbai, Jul 15 (PTI) Rejecting allegations that his sermons “inspired” terror activity, controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik today claimed he never encouraged anyone to kill innocents and said he will co-operate with any probe agency if it approaches him.Talking to mediapersons via Skype from Medina, Naik, who is facing the heat over charges that he inspired some of the Dhaka cafe attackers, condemned all terror attacks and dubbed himself as “a messenger of peace”.”I did not inspire any terrorist… suicide bombings targeting innocent people are condemnable,” Naik said, adding his statements on terrorism and suicide bombings were “doctored and tampered”.The 50-year-old Mumbai-based televangelist, who had earlier cancelled a press conference and had announced his visit to Africa from Saudi Arabia putting off his return to the country, challenged anyone to show him an unedited answer wherein he has not condemned suicide bombings.Naik also maintained that no government agency has approached him to join investigation in connection with charges levelled against him until now.”I am willing to co-operate with any probe agency if they approach me,” he added.He also claimed that he had even addressed IPS officials in the past.Naik also stated that he applied for permission to air Peace TV, run by his Islamic Research Foundation, in 2008, but did not get the same as the channel allegedly was “Islamic”.He also said that terrorists are misguiding innocent Muslims.The sermons of Naik are under the scanner of the state and the central agencies in India.advertisementHis speeches on Peace TV were said to be popular in Bangladesh, where the network has been banned post the July 1 terror attack which left 22 people dead, including an Indian. PTI MM IAS ENM RTlast_img read more

Read More »

Pictures of the boss not welcome at Montreal axethrowing facility

first_imgMONTREAL – Do not bring pictures of the boss.That’s what Anton Pushkar, the owner of an indoor Montreal axe-throwing facility, tells enthusiasts who may want a particular photo as their target.“We’ve had people saying: ‘Can I put a picture of somebody really special right on the bull’s eye?’” Pushkar said in a recent interview.“And we did have a couple of people coming in who were a little more serious about it. It’s not something we want to see, but they do ask.”The appropriately named Rage Academy has 11 “throwing lanes” that are separated by steel fences. Customers entering the centre are greeted by huge lettering on the wall that reads, “Control Your Rage.”It says on its website it can accommodate up to 60 people “for every possible action from bachelor to divorce celebration.”Pushkar, 27, said axe-throwing is still a relatively new form of mass entertainment.Young professionals and students between the ages of 25 and 35 now make up about 35 per cent of his clientele.The Siberian-born Pushkar said a lot of singles come in to try their hand.“You would be surprised, but often the girls get the hang of it much quicker than the guys,” he added.Three different sizes of the steel hatchets are available for players, including one for two-handed tossing.Kids are allowed to try the activity — if they are able to safely throw a specially made small axe.“We’ve had 10-year-olds who were throwing better than their adult parents,” said Pushkar, adding that even people in their 80s have come in for target practice.Roger Beaudoin, 96, who used to compete in lumberjack festivals, has also paid a visit.He took first place in several axe-throwing competitions around Quebec.But Beaudoin, who still tosses around an axe in his backyard in the village of Sainte-Emelie-de-l’Energie, says “all good things come to an end.”“I don’t have the capacity to be as accurate as I used to be, but I hit the target a few times,” he said in an interview with The Canadian Press.Pushkar, who came to Montreal from central Russia with his parents 14 years ago, said all activities at his venue are supervised by instructors who also provide training.He stressed that alcohol consumption is not allowed and that inebriated clients who come in are told to “get some fresh air and come back later.”“So far, here at Rage we’ve had no accidents involving axes,” Pushkar said.But some people end up cutting their fingers when they try to see how sharp the axe is.“Band-Aids are our biggest expense in terms of safety,” Pushkar joked.It costs a total of $40 per target per hour for three people, Monday to Thursday, and $50 on weekends.There are also special group rates.For serious competitors, there’s the Toronto-based National Axe Throwing Federation, whose members are from Canada, the United States, Australia and Poland.The federation, which was established in 2016, represents the sport of axe-throwing on behalf of 17 member organizations with more than 3,000 members in 39 cities.Commissioner Matt Wilson says one major tournament is held every year in February in Toronto.“The first stage of the tournament happens across all organizations that are part of the NATF,” he said in an interview.“The top 128 people then make it to the final day of the Toronto tournament.”The federation’s specific mandate is to promote uniform rules of competition, security measures and similar training techniques.Wilson also owns “B.A.T.L – Backyard Axe Throwing League,” which has been around for 11 years.last_img read more

Read More »

Rep Glenn introduces measure calling for state agencies to fulfill FOIA requests

first_img Categories: Glenn News 14Mar Rep. Glenn introduces measure calling for state agencies to fulfill FOIA requests promptly State Rep. Gary Glenn of Williams Township today introduced legislation requiring state departments to fulfill Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests within 60 days of the initial requests.Glenn’s measure is in response to a public statement issued by Attorney General Bill Schuette in December 2017 outlining how Michigan’s FOIA does not specify a particular timeline for when a state department must fulfill a request for information.“Under Michigan’s current FOIA setup, state agencies have no deadline when processing FOIA requests,” Glenn said. “We need to ensure taxpayers receive the information they request from a state department promptly. Allowing state agencies two months to fulfill FOIAs is entirely reasonable and it forces government agencies to respect the people’s right to know.”The measure to increase transparency comes during Sunshine Week, which celebrates the importance of open government and freedom of information.House Bill 5733 will be formally read into the record Thursday.last_img read more

Read More »

YouTube Premium has commissioned its first German

first_imgYouTube Premium has commissioned its first German originals.The trio of formats form part of a three-part global strategy that will see YouTube work with talent with large following, focus on music docs and programmes, and invest in tentpole shows such as its Karate Kid spin-off Cobra Kai as well as feature film acquistions.YouTube Premium has launched in Germany with comedy Neuland, which feature YouTube influence Phil Laude as a former digital start looking to make a comeback.The show – which is produced by the Banijay-owned Brainpool – also features David Hasselhoff, starring as himself.Meanwhile, the sitcom Bullsprit follows three friends who inherit a gas station. It is produced by Pantaleon Films, which most recently produced Amazon’s You Are Wanted.Finally, the millennial-focused LeFloid vs. the World features local YouTube star LeFloid travelling the world to discuss issues such as climate change and global finance.YouTube Premium costs €11.99 per month in Germany.The business has so far launched original programmes in South Korea, Mexico, Japan, France, India and the UK.Last month, Luke Hyams, head of the newly formed originals unit at YouTube EMEA, discussed the shows he’s looking for at the Edinburgh International TV Festival, noting that high-profile unscripted titles may be placed in front of the paywall.last_img read more

Read More »